Presented by Historic Reno Preservation Society
Kelly Rigby and Joyce Cox present "Flick Ranch"
In 1857, George Stone and Charles Gates opened a trading post east of Reno on the Truckee River. A toll bridge, known as Stone and Gates Crossing, was erected across the Truckee in 1860. After passing through several hands, the 1942 ranch house was purchased from the Flick family by the Reno Catholic Diocese in 1948 to become the first Bishop Manogue High School, and later the monastery for the Brothers of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. After serving as an adolescent substance abuse treatment center, the property was purchased in 2007 by the Truckee River Flood Project with plans to terrace the land to reduce flooding. Kelly Rigby, President of the Flick Ranch Project, is attempting to save the Flick ranch house from demolition.